Friday, February 16, 2007

Welcome!

Dear biblioaddicts--

I've got my head stuck in a book or a magazine so much that I am a little behind on blogging & technology--so this is how I'm going to catch up--this is my little experiment and learning tool. I got the idea to start this blog from Meredith Farkas' article in the February 2007 American Libraries about "Learning 2.0"--a learning initiative started at the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County in North Carolina. Each staff member involved in Learning 2.0 started a blog, which gave them insight not only into how to blog (and it's SO easy!) but also how to download a picture for the blog and also an audio clip. So I'll be adding a picture and an audio clip soon.

I have been feeling very time-challenged by being a new mom, but I think it'll be really fun to share info & excitement about books and info, and I pledge to keep up w/ 2-3 posts per week, if not daily posts.

Thanks for visiting!

I'm currently reading:

Spelldown: The Big-Time Dreams of a Small-Town Word Whiz by 1st time novelist Karon Luddy, for readers 10 and up, published by Simon and Schuster.

Feedback so far--Not loving it. Feeling a little down, in fact--wondering if other readers get a little tired of brilliant young characters who sound like little sociologists--challenged by life, yet able to be so wise and introspective, staring at sunsets and thinking about their beauty. My cynicism is coming out as I read this book--Karlene (8th grade protagonist from Red Clover, SC) is a little too sassy (ugh--this word is used in the bookjacket blurb) for my taste--and of course the book is set in 1969 (NOTHING happened then, right?), and is about spelling bees. I'm hoping it will get better and ring truer...I'll keep you posted...

Spelldown makes me think about a superior book that I read recently--the 2007 Newbery Medal book, The Higher Power of Lucky by Susan Patron. Lucky doesn't shout out its purpose the way this one does--doesn't seem like an amalgamation of popular topics, but shows (instead of tells) a girl who's bright and questions her life. The reader is trusted to figure out deeper meaning on her own, through the events, conversations and thoughts of the protagonist. I have to say, I'm a reader who enjoys it when her intelligence is trusted, and I especially appreciate this in children's and teen literature. (And good job to the 2007 Newbery Committee!)

No comments: